Saturday, April 17, 2010

Miles I've Gone and Now I'll Sleep

Another Festival has passed, and I'm about to pass out. It is such a stimulating, exciting and exhausting weekend! Here's my rundown of favorite and not-so-favorite experiences.

Two people I have previously raved about did not disappoint. Michael Perry was funny, honest and down-to-earth. He was also speaking about his current agnosticism. His humble approach to revisiting questions of faith, a faith that he left behind with his childhood, taught me more about what kind of Christian I want to be. He deeply respects his parents because of the people they are, and therefore he respects their beliefs. That is a high aspiration--to be the kind of person whose faith defines them and brings the respect of those who don't share that faith. And to retain an open heart to those who see the world differently.

I'd love to tell you more about the book of his I was reading, Population: 485. Alas, that will have to wait for another day, since I lost the library copy I was reading. I'm pleased to announce that the Calvin staff have located it, and I will be reunited with it soon.

Sara Zarr, who wrote the great young adult novel Once Was Lost, was also great to hear. She talked about the need for writers to be honest with the pain in the world so that young readers can relate and so that the pain they experience is confirmed, not swept under the rug. She further proved herself to me by listing the books that she loved as a girl that should still be read, and her number one recommendation was Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene. I read that book over and over. I also watched the TV movie version, starring Kristy McNichol, more than a few times. So Sara Zarr is my homegirl.

Stephen Carter writes novels (The Emperor of Ocean Park, New England White) as well as essays about religion, culture and politics. He is a Yale law professor, and every bit a gentleman. He talked about the fact that our culture simplifies or ignores the important part that religion plays in personal lives of people. This is a sentiment that was echoed by many at the conference. We don't know how to talk about religion and faith. He said that students should open their minds--not so far that their brains fall out--but open them enough to be able to explore ideas.

I also stumbled into a session that was led by one of the vice presidents of Walden Media. He was discussing the way writers "picture the invisible" for children. He went through several passages from Beverly Cleary's Ramona books, which include visits to church and bedtime prayers and talk about God. I don't remember any of that from reading those books as a child. Those events must have been so normal to my life that I didn't think anything of it. I rarely come across such things in children's books in the secular market! He pulled out some of those same things from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The movies Ramona and Beezus and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader are coming out this year from Walden Media, and they both sound pretty good!

Others I enjoyed: Rhoda Janzen (Mennonite in a Little Black Dress) talking about writing memoir; Sharon Flake who writes young adult novels about inner city teens (haven't read any yet, but am eager to); and Kate DiCamillo (Because of Winn Dixie, The Tale of Desperaux) who is tiny and funny and doesn't seem full of herself, though she didn't have much to say about faith. She makes everyone want to write stories. No wonder my family loves her books!

The lowest note was a writing workshop I signed up for, learning more about writing flash fiction. It was a low note, not because of the instructor's ability, but because I was completely out of my league. I am simply not edgy enough, nor does my brain work quickly enough, to produce anything I'd be willing to read in this company. My fellow workshop-ers read some incredible writing--which they'd written in about 15 minutes! I'll put it down to stretching my boundaries.

I am tired and need to go to bed. As soon as I find out who was voted off from "Survivor" this week. Hmm. Probably should not admit that to those reading this as a book blog.

If you were at Festival, tell me what I missed and what I should add to my reading wish list. You can tell me that second part even if you weren't at Festival. Two years minus 3 days till the next one. Good night!

No comments: