Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Major Award!

Folks, all of the hours I spend reading rather than, well, accomplishing things have finally paid off. I got a phone call today from the East Grand Rapids Library informing me that I won the drawing for the grand prize in the Let It Snow reading club. I've never won a drawing before, so I'm pretty excited. What is that prize? I don't know yet--I haven't gotten there yet to claim it. I'll have to keep you in suspense. I vaguely remember seeing something about a gift card to Schuler Books, so here's hoping. Just goes to show, reading is the way to real wealth.

I finished Michael Perry's book Population: 485 (finally) after Francene so nicely found it for me at Festival. It even made its way back to the library without a fine, shockingly! It's a great book: interesting, funny and full of compassion and respect for humanity. Next up--I'm halfway through The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. My copy is from a used book store, and its former owner signed her name and then wrote "okay." I'm wondering if that's her evaluation of the book. It's a big change from Perry's book, but so far, so good. I have to lead this one for church book club next month, so if you have any great insights for me, let me know.

My friend Sandy has this suggestion (stolen directly from her Facebook post without permission): "Want a great read? Pick up "Lay That Trumpet In Our Hands" by Susan Carol McCarthy. It was published in 2002, but has completely eluded me until now. Reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird." Hope to give that one a try!

The apple blossoms are in full bloom and the sun just keeps shining. Perfect setup for Saturday morning, when I join the line of hopeful souls buying tickets for Meijer Gardens Summer Concert Series. This is usually the highlight of the summer for Brian and me (going to the concerts, not standing in line). This year I'm particularly excited to go see Natalie Merchant. We rarely go to concerts anywhere else, but we can be found at Meijer Gardens pretty regularly. We've decided to pay them for tickets rather than buying a summer home. It makes the tickets seem just a bit cheaper. And the August Tuesdays are free! Maybe we'll see you there.

No comments: