Sunday, March 25, 2012

Friday Noon Movie Club: The Hunger Games

There’s no way you’ve missed it, the movie version of The Hunger Games has arrived! The Friday Noon Movie Club was a fun gathering of 6 women, while my rather jealous teens toiled away at school. And I have to say, there was none of the humiliation that exists when a 40-something woman enters a theater to see a movie based on adolescent literature, like when said woman might show up at a Twilight screening. Not that I would know anything about that. Ahem.

As the mother of two young fans, I’ve been nervous for a while about how this movie would come out, wondering how the violent nature of the books would come across on film. And even more so wondering how I would deal with a disappointed daughter if it was more than I was willing to allow her to watch. But I had hope, because Suzanne Collins, the author of the trilogy, was one of the screenwriters, and I hoped that her sensibilities would continue onto the screen.

My faith in her was rewarded. The movie stayed true to the books, showing violence in a way that does not glorify it. Indeed, it does the opposite, showing the sacredness to human life, and the fact that everyone involved in violence is changed by it. The Hunger Games is a horrific tale of societal oppression and mob mentality, with elements of Roman gladiators, Shirley Jackson’s story “The Lottery,” and Lord of the Flies, among many others.

Yet the selling point of both the book and the movie is the strong female lead, Katniss Everdeen, a resourceful young woman who will sacrifice herself for those she loves. And Katniss is ably played by Jennifer Lawrence, who was also wonderful as Katniss’s present-day alter ego in Winter’s Bone, a movie from a couple of years ago.

Other characters are well-played, but not well-developed. The constraints of time appear to have cut much of the back story on many of the characters, which proves frustrating to fans of the novels. For instance, Cinna did not play a big enough part. Being a closet Lenny Kravitz fan, I was sort of amazed at how restrained his performance was. I have no idea how it plays to someone who doesn’t know the books, because, having read them, my memory fills in any missing information.

I “enjoyed” the movie, for lack of a better term. I don’t know what to do with that. Is it inspiring? Not really, because it’s such a sad story, even if Katniss does come through. Is it uplifting? No. But there’s something appealing about it, and it’s not just the excitement of the danger and competition. It has to do with Katniss’s refusal to submit to the expectations placed on her, and her refusal to succumb to the baser nature that shows up in some of her opponents. The on-screen treatment of her relationship with the young girl, Rue, is one of the highlights of the movie.

I felt satisfied, if saddened, after watching, but I do wonder if I can tolerate watching the second and third books turned into movies. But I’m not sure I’ll be able to stay away, either.

One more thing—I downloaded the soundtrack today, which was put together by T Bone Burnett (O Brother Where Art Thou?, Walk the Line, Cold Mountain). On first listen, it appears to be a fabulous combination of music, including songs from Neko Case, the Punch Brothers, the Civil Wars, Taylor Swift, Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, The Carolina Chocolate Drops…an amazing list. Even if you don’t want to watch the movie, check out the music.


3 comments:

KLo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KLo said...

I agree with everything you said (including about the music), but I'm curious to know what you thought of Peeta in the movie? I felt like he came across as much more 'wimpy' and flat in the movie than in the novel. There was more complexity to both him and his relationship with Katniss in the novel, but I suppose there is only so much you can get into the movie.

Kristy Quist said...

KLo, I sort of agree about Peeta, but I liked him better than I thought I would. I still see the kid actor so was not expecting much. But I do remember thinking he was sort of wimpy until later in the series. I know I was Team Gale when the second one came out, so maybe he grew on me in the second book.